For those of you who have never actually met me in real life, you may not know that I am short. Like, 5 feet (5’1 on a good day) short. Every time I meet someone that I have met through social media, the first thing they always say to me is, “I didn’t realize how little you are!” Every single time. And, I actually take this as a huge compliment. I feel like that means that I have figured out how to trick people into thinking that I am not as short as I really am! Below I have my 5 tricks that can help any short girl.
- High-waisted bottoms are your friend. I think that high-waisted shorts, skirts, and pants can make your legs look so much longer than they actually are. I love high-waisted maxi skirts. They are so flattering and can make your legs look like they go on for days.
- So, you found a really cute high waisted maxi skirt. You go try it on, and it is a foot too long. This literally happens to me maybe every single time I try a maxi on. There is nothing that makes you look shorter than pants or skirts that are too long. Well, I have found the BEST solution! It is called hem tape and it is possibly the best thing that has happened to my wardrobe in a long time. It is basically tape that you can “hem” your skirts or pants with. There is no sewing involved, and it takes maybe 5 minutes to do. I used it on the skirt above and it saved me from having to get it tailored.
- Find cropped jeans. Almost all of my favorite “pants” are actually cropped jeans or capris that fit me like normal pants. I swear by this trick. There is something about jeans that fit perfectly length wise that really makes you look taller. (I also get cropped leggings and yoga pants) In the photo above, I am wearing “crops” and they fit like a glove!
- Use a small purse. I haven’t used a big purse in years. They are so heavy, and I tend to fill it up with unnecessary stuff that I do not need. I also dislike them because they make a petite girl look smaller than they already are! Small purses, however, don’t overpower your body and complement your size.
- Tuck it in, tie it, or crop it. This kind of goes along with tip #1, but when you wear the high waisted bottoms, you need to make sure you are showing off ALL of your legs! Long shirts can cut your body in half and get rid of your waist. I tuck in the front of almost all my shirts regardless of the high waist. By simply tucking in your shirt, it can make your legs look longer and add some structure to your body!
I hope this helps out all my short girls out there! I know the pain of trying to find clothes that fit and not looking long and tall in photos. I hope these tricks help, and feel free to leave any tips that you might have below!